Man dies in hospital after getting ‘lethal dose of another patient’s medication’


The sudden “unexplained” death of a diabetic man in hospital has sparked a police investigation after claims staff gave him a lethal dose of another patient’s medication.

Martin Weldon died at Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow, Scotland, two days after his 36th birthday.

STV News reports he allegedly receiving medication meant for someone else as he family hit out at what they called “staff negligence”.

Mr Weldon was admitted after suffering a diabetic hypoglycaemia – where the level of sugar in the blood drops too low – on May 1, reports the DailyRecord.

Complications caused a severe brain injury and despite needing to learn how to walk and talk again, he had started making progress. His family were left devastated when he died on August 13 as police confirmed they will probe his passing.

His father, Martin Senior, said: “Today we lost my son Martin, after making progress in hospital he passed away due to staff negligence.

“I would like to take the time to thank his real friends and family who have been there for martin in the past few months.

“Funeral arrangements will follow, thanks. Myself and family would appreciate time to grieve for now.

“Our family is taking time to grieve for Martin and we are supporting the police through the investigation and once the investigation is done we will comment further.”

NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde issued a statement following the death of the patient, confirming his passing is now subject to an ongoing police investigation.

They refused to comment directly on claims he was given medication means for another patient when approach by the Mirror.

The health board has also offered “thoughts and deepest condolences” to the family and loved ones of the deceased.

A spokesperson said: “Our thoughts and deepest condolences are with Mr Weldon’s family and loved ones as they mourn his loss.

“After immediately notifying the Procurator Fiscal, the circumstances around Mr Weldon’s death are now subject to an ongoing police investigation.

“As such, it would be inappropriate to comment further.

“We continue to work with relevant authorities and remain committed to engaging with the family as investigations progress.”

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “On Saturday, August 13, police were made aware of the unexpected death of a 35-year-old man at the QEUH.

“The death is being treated as unexplained and enquiries are ongoing.”

His heartbroken family have been raising money for charity Brain Injury Matters on JustGiving.